Sterne Agee is a rare breed. Founded in 1901, Sterne Agee remains one of the few privately-owned brokerage firms in the country. We have survived the many waves of consolidation by sticking to our principles, by hiring and rewarding talent, and by faithfully serving our clients in ways that other firms simply can't or won't.
Today, we have offices throughout the Southeast, with headquarters in Birmingham, Alabama. But we are more than a regional firm; we help more than 140,000 clients across all 50 states thrive. Our professionals manage more than $17 billion in assets. Sterne Agee Group, Inc. comprises seven subsidiaries:
Sterne, Agee & Leach, Inc.
A full service brokerage firm (member NYSE/FINRA/SIPC) providing investment services to individuals, corporations, municipalities and other public and private institutions.
Sterne Agee Investment Advisors
An SEC-registered team of investment advisors that develops diverse portfolios for clients through its managed platforms. SAIA provides Sterne Agee’s Financial Advisors with access to flexible and effective investment management consulting platforms.
The Trust Company of Sterne Agee, Inc.
A trust company offering a full range of trust services, including investment management, personal and charitable trusts, employee benefit plans and corporate trusts.
Sterne Agee Financial Services, Inc.
A registered broker-dealer and member of the FINRA/SIPC; serves a nationwide network of Independent Registered Representatives in branch offices and financial institutions.
Sterne Agee Clearing, Inc.
A registered broker-dealer and member FINRA/SIPC; serves as a reintroducing firm for our clearing services to broker-dealers nationwide.
Sterne Agee Solutions, Inc.
A team of experienced professionals specializing in balance sheet and income statement analysis. Sterne Agee Solutions' interest rate and liquidity risk models provide institutions with a detailed asset/liability analysis to measure and assess the nature and degree of risk then develop solutions to maximize profitability and minimize risk in accordance with regulatory standards.
- 1901 - George B. Ward organizes a securities firm.
- 1914 - Mervyn H. Sterne founds M.H. Sterne Securities firm.
- 1916 - Mervyn H. Sterne and George B. Ward merge to form Ward, Sterne & Company.
- 1919 - Rucker Agee joins the firm.
- 1921 - Edmund C. Leach opens an office for the firm.
- 1936 - Ward, Sterne & Company joins the National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD).
- 1945 - Founder George B. Ward passes away and the firm changes its name to Sterne, Agee & Leach.
- 1955 - Henry S. Lynn acquires a seat on the New York Stock Exchange and Alonzo H. Lee becomes an
associate member of the American Stock Exchange.
- 1964 - Firm incorporates as Sterne, Agee & Leach, Inc.
- 1974 - Sterne, Agee & Leach, Inc. acquires Shropshire, Frazer & Co.
- 1988 - Sterne Agee Asset Management, Inc. is formed.
- 1990 - Sterne, Agee & Leach, Inc. consolidates with First Birmingham Securities.
- 1993 - F&G Investment Services (now Sterne Agee Financial Services, Inc.) is acquired.
- 1994 - The Trust Company of Sterne, Agee, Inc. is formed.
- 1995 - Sterne, Agee & Leach, Inc. acquires Hill, Crawford & Lanford.
- 1996 - The holding company of Sterne Agee Group, Inc. is formed.
- 2000 - Sterne, Agee & Leach, Inc. acquires John R. Taylor Financial Group, Inc.
- Sterne, Agee & Leach, Inc. acquires McAllaster & Associates.
Sterne, Agee & Leach, Inc. acquires CG Maton Financial Services (now Sterne Agee Financial
- 2006 - Expands presence in New York, New York.
- 2011 - Sterne Agee expands westward with acquisition of Nollenberger Capital Partners, Inc.
Expands in Tennessee and the Mid- Atlantic with the acquisition of the private client group of
Anderson & Strudwick, Inc.
- 2012 - Private Client Group expands into Chicago. Acquisition of FBC Mortgage, LLC.
- 2013 - Acquisition of Yorvik Partners, formation of Sterne Agee UK LLP